Monday, February 17, 2020

“The User Name or Password is Incorrect” Error Message After Restart

0
If you recently upgraded to Windows 10 newer version, you might be facing a very annoying problem. If you restart your machine, after boot screen an error message is shown "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again.". The strange thing is that the error message is shown before Login Screen (also known as Sign-in Screen or Welcome Screen). So even if you didn't enter any username or password, you get this error message first. Once you click on OK button, you get the Login Screen to enter correct user name and password and then Windows allows you to sign-in successfully.

password is incorrect


Recently I received an email from a reader "Edy Medor" regarding similar problem. Here is the email content:
Since after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators update I am facing a very weird issue for which I don't seem to find any solution anywhere. Whenever I restart/reboot my PC, the first screen that shows up even before the logon screen is:
"The user name or password is incorrect".

How can that be, when I have not even had a chance to enter any user name or password. After clicking OK on the infamous message, then I will have the logon screen where I can enter my credentials (user name and password). After that, everything will go smooth.

The problem is nerve-racking, frustrating, freaking aggravating. I even changed my password but to no avail. I also ran a repair install with no luck either. Two temporary solutions I found didn't appeal well to me.
  • netplwiz settings: Untick "User must enter a user name and password to use this computer" (I don't want to leave my computer unprotected).
  • Enter the following command in Run box: shutdown /r /t 0 (I don't want to do that every time I am restarting my PC).

I am wondering if you can help me resolve this issue, I would be so ever grateful.
Thanks in advance.

So you can see this issue is very frustrating as the user needs to click on OK button every time the computer is restarted.

Actually it happens due to a new feature added to Windows 10 newer versions which is called "Improved Boot Up Experience". Microsoft has implemented a new functionality in Windows 10 newer versions which allows Windows to use your sign-in info to apply settings after a restart or update. This feature automatically finishes setting your Windows 10 device after an update is installed and your machine is restarted.


Here is the official explanation of this new feature according to Microsoft:
The advanced Windows Update feature to use your sign-in info to automatically finish setting your device after an update has been extended to regular reboots and shutdowns. When you log in and initiate a reboot or a shutdown through power options available on the Start Menu and various other locations, Windows will automatically setup your account after it has booted back up.


This will help you sign-in faster and will restore your accessibility applications and any other application that has registered for application restart.

If you remember this feature was added first to Windows 10 build 16251 and we told you about it in our exclusive Windows 10 Fall Creators Update changelog topic.

If you are facing problem due to this new feature and want to disable it, the solution is very simple!

Microsoft has provided an option to enable/disable this feature. You just need to use following steps to turn off this new feature so that you don't get "The user name or password is incorrect" error message at startup:

1. Open Settings app from Start Menu. Alternatively, you can press WIN+I keys together to open Settings directly.

2. Now click on Accounts icon in Settings app and then click on Sign-in Options tab present in left-side pane.

PS: Alternatively, You can directly launch this page using "ms-settings:signinoptions" command in RUN dialog box as mentioned here.

3. Scroll down to bottom and you'll see "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart" option. This option would be set to ON.

Disable_Use_My_Sign_in_Info_After_Restart_Option_Windows_10_Settings.png

PS: In newer Windows 10 versions, the option label has been changed to "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart". Now the new option also prevents Windows from restoring applications at system startup.

Click on the toggle button and set this option to OFF.

That's it. Now restart your computer and you'll never see the irritating error message about incorrect username or password unless of course you manually enter a wrong password.
Author Image

About Adam stiffman
Soratemplates is a blogger resources site is a provider of high quality blogger template with premium looking layout and robust design

No comments:

Post a Comment